tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 06 14:14:01 1995

Re: We need Klingon speakers for the CD-ROM!

I would like to participate, with a compromise where time and money are
concerned. How long will I need to work, and what pay can I expect to
receive? I can give these as the only determining factors in my willingness
to volunteer.

>If you have Klingon-speaking friends who are in this area and
>don't get the tlhIngan-Hol list, by all means pass the word on to
>them.  We may also have to use non-Klingonists who have linguistic
>training and can handle the pronunciation without knowing the
>language, but of course we'd rather use real Klingons if we can.

Actually, I would suggest nudging your preference a little closer to those
merely with linguistic training. The interest in Klingon and the interest in
linguistics barely overlap one another, which is both ironic and unfortunate,
but true -- and this of course leads to the vast majority of the Klingon
community speaking with heavy Terran accents. My personal opinion is that
Mark Shoulson is really the only American with a truly respectable accent.
(He lives in New Jersey, a not altogether inconvenient distance from the
Boston area, I take it). Moreover, general linguists are so much easier to
come by than genuine Klingonists, you may find it profitable to set your
sights on nearby university linguistics majors (whose financial situations
alone may be sufficient motive to make time for this project, which I myself
fully support in spirit, if not in participation.)

I'm looking forward to seeing this product on the market as soon as possible.
Good luck.

Guido

Back to archive top level