tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 06 14:12:13 1995

Re: hello.

>Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 12:18:07 -0800
>From: Tim Browne <[email protected]>

>On Mon, 4 Dec 1995, Jarno Peschier wrote:

>> bInIDqu'choHDI' choH ghu'vam. HIHarlaH...

>OK, let's see if I can get this one right. My best guess is "This
>situation will change as soon as you TRY to change. You can believe me!"
>So, how did I do?

I think that's what Jarno meant to say... but I don't think that's what he
said.

See, "You can believe me" would be translated "choHarlaH."  "?HIHarlaH", to
me, means only "Be able to believe me!"  Remember, "HI-" is an imperative
prefix; it indicates that what's being said is a command.  The verb is
"Har" with the suffix "-laH", meaning "be able to believe", and "HI-" is
you as subject and me as object.  So "HIHarlaH" means "You!  Be able to
believe me!"  It's a command to be able to do something.  I don't think
"-laH" is useful in commands in most cases (though of course there probably
are some.)  "HIHar" means "Believe me!"; perhaps Jarno got confused between
"HIHar" and "choHarlaH."

~mark

Back to archive top level