tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 06 13:40:48 1995

Re: chuS'ugh

>Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 16:40:50 -0800
>From: david barron <[email protected]>

>There is one sentence in ST5 (I think) that is a COMPLETE backfit.
>The script asked for the actors to say something and they DID,
>in perfect tlhIngan Hol. Then the directors demanded a rewrite
>when the shooting was long past. Okrand did a VERY skillfull job
>of re working the meaning of what was said during that scene.
>As I recall that is where <vaj> came to mean "warrior".

>Krankor commented on this, I beleive, is one issue of HolQeD.

Yep.  The sentence is "vaj toDuj Daj ngeHbej DI vI'".  It seems that the
line whose English translation was "Then the Federation will send a rescue
ship" (vaj toDDujDaj ngeHbej DIvI') had two takes of its Klingon reading
get into the movie: one for the proper line, and one for the next line:
"Shooting space garbage is no test of a warrior's mettle" (which gives rise
to the slightly different other sentence, shown above).  Neat, huh?

~mark

Back to archive top level