tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 06 11:55:27 1995

Ret: Repost of: tonSaw' HoS

ghItlh QetaH:
> The origin of strength is in the feet,
> initiated by the legs,
> directed by the waist,
> and shown in the hands.

Welcome, fellow Tai Chi Chuan pracitioner. When i refer to the art in tlhIngan
i use the term <~maqbara'>. I always put the ~ in front so people don't try to
look it up in TKD. Since we don't know precisely what <tonSaw'> is, and we
know a bit of what Mok'bara looks like from ST:TNG, i use <~maqbara'>.

> At first I tried a, more or less, direct translation:

Which you found out doesn't work well.

> but wasn't happy with the, rather sedate, sound of it and the awkward sentance
> constructs.  For my second attempt I took the essence of the lesson and tried to
> add a Klingon attitude:

majQa'!

> HoSqu' ghajbej tonSaw'
> pevIl yavDaq rar qamDu' 'ej
> vaj HoS tagh 'uSDu' 'ej
> HIv burgh yoS 'ej
> jaghpu' Qaw' pachDu'

> Hopefully it comes back around in English something like this:
> Klingon fighting must have strength.

<ghajbej> means certainly has, not must have. Use the <-nIS> suffix.

> Forcefully feet connect to ground

I think your use of the <-Daq> suffix on <yav> is unnecessary. I'd have
written <pe'vIl yav lurar qamDu'>.

> then legs initiate strength,

You need the <lu-> prefix on <tagh>.

> waist attacks, and

<burgh yoS> for waist? Since we don't have a specific word for Tan Tien, i'd
recommend simply <burgh> or <botlh>.

> claws destroy enemy.

In the Klingon you have enemies not enemy. Why not leave it as <ghopDu'>?
charghwI' once said (and i paraphrase here):

Hoch 'oH nuH'e', lo'chugh tlhIngan. nuH 'oH ghop'e', nuH 'oH nItlh'e',
nuH 'oH butlh'e'.

I apologize for stepping on any grammarians shoes.

- DaQtIq

Back to archive top level