tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 05 10:36:36 1995

qeylIS betleH

 uu> From: ur-valhalla!aol.com!WestphalWz
 uu> Subject: qeylIS betleH

 >So we study and use "High Klingon" and Paramount puts "common Klingon"
 >on the screen.  Not a problem!

 uu> Since PK warns students that serious consequences can occur by not
 uu> speaking the current emperor's dialect, at least lack of social status,
 uu> I encounter a problem with 'common Klingon.'  Maybe our street people
 uu> can get away with street language as opposed to the English Miss McNabb
 uu> tried to drill into me in high school, but I see Klingon as being
 uu> seriously ostracized in their own society for speaking anything other
 uu> than proper (or clipped) Klingon.

What's so different?  Are not "our street people" seriously ostracized
by the majority of business and political folks, because they don't
speak correctly?  Do you use street talk in the office?  No, you use
proper English.  Would you address the President as "Bud" or say "What
up?" to the Queen at Buckingham Palace?  Of course not.

Klingons are the same; they speak poorly amongst themselves, but
(sometimes) try to speak "properly" when among the powerful.

| Lieutenant Commander Qob vestai-qutvaj                     |          |
| Quadrant Adjutant, Northern Quadrant, Dark Moon Fleet, KAG |  NOR!    |
| Second and Communications Officer, I.K.V. Crystal Dagger   |  QUAD!   |
|     === Member, Klingon Language Institute ===             |  ROCKS!  |
| Fidonet:  Bill Willmerdinger @ 1:2613/477.1701             |          |
| Internet: [email protected]              |          |