tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 04 07:30:50 1995

Re: Review of translations

At 09:19 PM 12/3/95 -0800, you wrote:

>On Thu, 30 Nov 1995, David Barron wrote:
>
>> I recently submitted an original work to several talented
>> "Klingonists" for review. All but one, the honorable Nick
>> Nicolas, was able/willing to put forth the effort.
>> This tells me that there are probably far too few talented
>> Klingonist out there to review all the works we would
>> like to have published. (THis also assumes that
>> there are enough completed works ready for review.)
>>
>> Let's just assume for a moment that there are
>> 10 translated/original tlhIngan Hol works ready to
>> get reviewed. Can we do it?
>
>But I echo charghwI''s dislike of reviewing poetry.  I also dislike
>reviewing non-original works translated from other languages, like Beowulf
>from the Anglo-Saxon or Pushkin from the Russian.  It's a real headache
>for me to double-check the Klingon writing with another foreign language
>- it's twice the translation work.

This *does* help me. The big poem was an inspiration but I think
when I am inspired again I will stick to proes ...of opera.

>> The notorius delays of "Hamlet" indicate that we have
>> fairly limited resorces to take on such a task. I hope
>> I am wrong.
>
>I think there are a small goup of people working on that, which is
>probably best for the sake of consistency in translation.  You don't want
>large group of editors all working on the same piece.  Hamlet is also a
>particularly ambitious and difficult project.  It's a lot harder to
>translate Shakespearian iambic pentamenter than something written in
>modern English prose.

jIyaj.

>> Can we /Should we submit them to this list for review?
>
>Do you think there is a shortage of people who can review works?  Are all
>the people who are really qualified to review works being asked to do so?
>It seems to me that a very small group of people are regularly asked to
>do all of the critiques.  Until this month, no one ever asked me to review
>any works for publication.

Well, I *thought* there was a shortive of reviewers, but maybe
there is more for me to consider.

>I think there are probably a several other
>competent Klingon speakers out there who could review works for
>publication but have never been asked to do so.

Good point.

david

>> david
>
>yoDtargh

                       David Barron  [email protected]
        Klingon Language Postal Course,   PO Box 37, Eagle ID 83616
              It's FREE! Send Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope.
                     Not available by E-mail, so dont ask.

Back to archive top level