tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 02 20:20:24 1995

Re: Review of translations

At 06:37 PM 12/2/95 -0800, you wrote:
>> I recently submitted an original work to several talented
>> "Klingonists" for review. All but one, the honorable Nick
>> Nicolas, was able/willing to put forth the effort.
>> This tells me that there are probably far too few talented
>> Klingonist out there to review all the works we would
>> like to have published. (THis also assumes that
>> there are enough completed works ready for review.)

>I think your pessimism in this area is wrong-headed, and ultimately moot.
>

>And finally, to go back to the example of your poem that you had such trouble
>getting help with (and it *is* a long work), you miss an important point.  I
>view that work as an original composition in Klingon, one which you were
>translating *back* into English, and not the other way around.  This is a
>very
>different thing from taking someone else's work in English (or any
language) >and
>making sure you've got the feel and the intent of those words in the first
>place, and then conveyed them in Klingon.
>
>Bottom line, I don't see any reason to despair.  I believe the KSRP will
>continue pumping out Shakespeare on a regular basis.  I believe the KBTP will
>become fired up when they see Hamlet actually come out and will get back on
>track.

majQa'! bIlugh 'e' vItulqu' 'ej SengwIj DaqelDI' ghu'maH vIqeSqu'. qatlho'.
ghItlhwIj Da*publish*meH jIboHqu'choH vaj vImImlu'mo' jISotchoH.

>Lawrence

david

                       David Barron  [email protected]
        Klingon Language Postal Course,   PO Box 37, Eagle ID 83616
              It's FREE! Send Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope.
                     Not available by E-mail, so dont ask.

Back to archive top level