tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 02 18:28:30 1995

Re: Review of translations

> I recently submitted an original work to several talented
> "Klingonists" for review. All but one, the honorable Nick
> Nicolas, was able/willing to put forth the effort.
> This tells me that there are probably far too few talented
> Klingonist out there to review all the works we would
> like to have published. (THis also assumes that
> there are enough completed works ready for review.)
>
> Let's just assume for a moment that there are
> 10 translated/original tlhIngan Hol works ready to
> get reviewed. Can we do it?

I think your pessimism in this area is wrong-headed, and ultimately moot.

Think about the past few years and the growth in number and in skill of
Klingonists, both on and off this list.

Consider that at the first qep'a' we had about ten people, fewer than half who
might be called "fluent" (and some of those just weren't talking). Compare that
to the same event a year later. The qep'a' cha'DIch had twenty people, all of
whom were speaking at least some Klingon, and more than half were doing a damn
impressive job of it. And that number does not include some of the people (such
as yourself, David) who are experienced with the language.  Next summer I'm
hoping we'll have thirty people and more Klingon than we've ever heard before!

My point is that we're basically growing our own translators.  That's held back
the work because there haven't been enough qualified folks to go around.  That
is changing, slowly, but it's changing.

Also, we're still building up a body of translated material.  It's one thing to
translate a few lines or even a couple pages, and quite another thing to manage
the theme and style of a larger work.  Building up some practice and expertise
at this takes time too.  I believe that much of the editing delay of Hamlet has
been the concequence of pulling back stylistics to a more main stream form.

And finally, to go back to the example of your poem that you had such trouble
getting help with (and it *is* a long work), you miss an important point.  I
view that work as an original composition in Klingon, one which you were
translating *back* into English, and not the other way around.  This is a very
different thing from taking someone else's work in English (or any language) and
making sure you've got the feel and the intent of those words in the first
place, and then conveyed them in Klingon.

Bottom line, I don't see any reason to despair.  I believe the KSRP will
continue pumping out Shakespeare on a regular basis.  I believe the KBTP will
become fired up when they see Hamlet actually come out and will get back on
track.  I believe that the tremendous work of the Beginners' Grammarians on this
mailing list will continue to help groom future translators and that the whole
thing will just keep snowballing.  The trick is to get up to that level of
momentum.

Lawrence

:: Dr Lawrence M Schoen, Director   :: The KLI is a nonprofit ::
:: The Klingon Language Institute   :: tax exempt corporation ::
:: POB 634, Flourtown, PA 19031 USA :: DaH HuchlIj'e' ghonob  ::
::  [email protected]  ::  [email protected]  :::  215/836-4955  ::

Back to archive top level