tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 01 17:15:48 1995

No Subject

     Thanks for the suggested changes. They came in handy, and the rest of the
translation is going much more smoothly (which doesnÕt say much). I started up
<jo choH> a.k.a. ResEdit a.k.a. The Happy Clown Head of Death, and waded into
that copy of SimpleText.
     The Mac meuns undergo some strange transformations. AppleÕs Human Interface
Guidelines mandate that many of these menu items are standard, so we can use
them over and over again.
     HereÕs what I have so far:

DeÕ                  choH                   nargh
 DeÕ chuÕ       #N    vangHaÕ         #Z
 poSmpH...      #O    ------------------    tIn
 -----------------    woH             #X     9 [Point]
 SoQmoH         #W    qaw             #C     10 [Point]
 pol            #S    roQ             #V     12 [Point]
 jaS pol...           QawÕ                   14 [Point]
 -----------------    ------------------     18 [Point]
 nav yIDel...         Hoch wIv        #A     24 [Point]
 ghItlh...      #P    ------------------     36 [Point]
 waÕlogh ghItlh       [Next Page]     #=
 mev            #Q    [Go to Page...] #G
                      -------------------
                      Show Clipboard

* The Macintosh menu items are traditionally phrased as imperatives, but rather
than use yI every time, I decided to use the ÒclippedÓ versions. I figure
Klingons would want the same loyalty from their computers as they demand from
their pets.

* I used ÒleaveÓ to end the program because ÒquitÓ sounded defeatist.

* At first, I wasnÕt going to translate Òundo,Ó figuring that a Klingon would
just ignore the mistake (give or take a replacement proverb) and forge ahead.

* I was originally going to use ÒpullÓ for ÒcutÓ and ÒpushÓ for Òpaste,Ó but I
couldnÕt find a word for ÒpullÓ in the TKD. ÒPick upÓ and Òput downÓ make a fine
substitute. ÒCutÓ and ÒpasteÓ are idiomatic anyway.

* Note the similarity between the words for remember (copy) [qaw] and destroy
(clear) [QawÕ]. Your fileÕs life may depend upon it, especially if you donÕt
want to use undo. {>:)

* I used [nargh] (appearance) for the Font menu, though so far you can count the
available, legitimate Klingon fonts on one hand. The other choice would be to
put [nargh] at the top of the Style menu.

* The size menu turn into the [tIn] (big) menu. This wonÕt do. Is there
something more appropriate?

* The unit known as a ÒpointÓ is an obscure Terran measure referring to the size
of a given character in printed material. I assume no Klingon equivalent has
been found yet...

* I have absolutely no idea how to translate Òplain,Ó Òbold,Ó Òitalic,Ó
Òunderline,Ó Òoutline,Ó Òshadow,Ó Òcondensed,Ó or Òextended.Ó Any suggestions?

* I left the keyboard shortcuts on them as they were in English because 1.
theyÕre familiar, and 2. IÕm not THAT familiar with Klingon yet.

If I had a swordfish, I'd share it with you./ David Wood has opinions,
But this is a halibut and IT'S ALL MINE!   / but very few people care.
And ask me about THE ONE-ARMED PAPER HANGERS and PORT ROYAL! May31-Jn2

Back to archive top level