tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 01 07:52:58 1995

Re: -ghach

>Date: Fri, 1 Dec 1995 06:02:18 -0800
>From: Tim Browne <[email protected]>

>On Thu, 30 Nov 1995, Christian Matzke wrote:

>Here's an idea. As seen in the Klingon Dictionary, we have Qap --> to
>succeed, Qapla' --> success. So, how about matlh --> to be loyal,
>matlhla' --> loyalty? Any takers? L8r.

No way.  We have exactly ONE (count it) case of this so-called
construction, as opposed to actual honest-to-Okrand statements about
-ghach.  You really can't extrapolate from a single case.  In English, we
can say "tonight" for "this night" and, even stronger, "today" for "this
day" and "to-morrow" for "this morrow/the day after this one."  But that
doesn't mean you can say "toafternoon" or "tomorning" or "toThursday."  And
that's with *three* pieces of evidence.  "Qapla'" is, so far as we can
tell, an isolated case.

~mark

Back to archive top level