tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 30 17:25:22 1994

Re: to be or not to be

According to Lore:

> > I realize this is old hat to everyone, but a discussion of
> > how to say "there can be only one" in thlIngan Hol came up on
> > a Highlander list I'm on and now they've gotten into an
> > argument over the verb 'to be' specifically how they can
> > say 'to be or not to be' in ST6.
> >
> > Could someone please provide me with the translation and it's
> > translation back into English?
> >
> > Thanx,
> > yaj
> > [email protected]

While {taH pagh taHbe'} was the line as said in ST6, even
Okrand, himself, has commented that it wasn't a very good one.
He was in a difficult spot and didn't have time to think it
through well. For "There can be only one", I think you would be
much better off with something like:

rIn'DI' Hoch QaplaH wa' neH

"When all is finished, only one can win."

charghwI'

Back to archive top level