tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 27 17:17:47 1994

Re: Pronunciation (Was: Re: KLBC: jItagh)

According to ...Paul:

> >From: Igor Nekyha <[email protected]>
> >Date: Mon, 26 Sep 94 14:30:56 GMT
> >Subject: Pronunciation (Was: Re: KLBC:  jItagh)
> >
> >I wish the "Q" sound was easier, though....
>
> I've come to the conclusion that "q" is almost exactly like a "k" in English,

This is true, if you are content to speak Klingon with a teran
accent. The {q} is noticably deeper back in the throat than a
"k". When I get lazy or in a hurry, I do slide back into a "k"
sound, but that's not admirable.

> and "Q" is a "k" with the German "ch" after it,

Well, I think of it more like a {q} (see above) with a modified
{H}. By modified, I mean that {Q} requires that the back of my
throat be tighter than {H} and the air is propelled with more
force. Though ~mark doesn't like this description, it is a
sound much like what I once made as a child while crashing toy
cars together...

> and then "H" is simply the
> German "ch" without any hard k at all...  But I have a lot of trouble
> getting my "Q"s to sound much different than my "H"s...  :(
>
> ...Paul

Again, with {H}, the flap at the back of my throat is much
looser, while with {Q} it is much more constricted. I can
definitely express and hear the difference between {Ha'} and
{Qa'}, and it is not just the onset, though the onset is very
different between the two, if pronounced well.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level