tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 20 10:53:46 1994

Re: When a Beginner?

According to R.B Franklin:

> On Mon, 19 Sep 1994, Niall Hosking wrote:
>
> > When is someone not considered a beginner?  Is it when they think that
> > they are?

That's pretty much it. My own experience is that the change
from beginner to non-beginner tends to be triggered by feedback
from others as well. Others told ME when I was no longer a
beginner, and I've seen this happen for others as well.

> > I would not define myself a complete beginner at tlhIngan
> > Hol, but several people out ther leave me feeling like a complete
> > beginner at English Hol, my native language (and my best subject at
> > school)!
>
> I sympathize with you 100%.  I feel exactly the same way.  Many of the
> discussions on this list are way over my head, especially when they
> start using highbrow linguistics jargon.  I've observed at least three
> people on this list say something to the effect, "If you don't know what
> X means, then go look it up in a textbook."  To me, that's a cold slap in
> the face.

If you catch ME doing that, definitely let me know. I'm here as
Beginners' Grammarian, and if I come accross with that sort of
arrogance, it is time to replace me with someone who can do a
better job of speaking to and for beginners.

> On the other hand, I'm really grateful to those language experts here who
> care to take the time to explain what a specialized linguistic or
> obscure grammar term means and follow up with a clear, relevant example
> of what they are talking about.  In that way, an ignorant layman like me
> benefits from the discussion and learns something.

I hope I qualify. That's exactly what I am supposed to be doing.

> > {qSeroHS vayn}
> >
> > glug, glug, glug!
>
> jItlhuHHa'taH je.
>
> yoDtargh

There is air enough in KLBC. That's exactly why it was created.
If you feel overwhelmed by general discussions, just bypass that
message and focus more attention on the KLBC posts. As for
Guido, just because he is 18 doesn't mean he isn't a linguist.
He says he has studied language intensively since he was 12.
That's long enough for others to go from a high school diploma
to a Masters Degree, and HE is driven by his own personal
initiative instead of any desire to get any particular
credentials. Add in a little touch of genius and there's a
REASON he talks like that.

Meanwhile, don't be intimidated. There's a place here for Guido
and there is a place here for you, and there is nothing wrong
if those two places are different.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level