tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 19 20:07:04 1994

Re: When a Beginner?

On Mon, 19 Sep 1994, Niall Hosking wrote:

> When is someone not considered a beginner?  Is it when they think that
> they are?  I would not define myself a complete beginner at tlhIngan
> Hol, but several people out ther leave me feeling like a complete
> beginner at English Hol, my native language (and my best subject at
> school)!

I sympathize with you 100%.  I feel exactly the same way.  Many of the
discussions on this list are way over my head, especially when they
start using highbrow linguistics jargon.  I've observed at least three
people on this list say something to the effect, "If you don't know what
X means, then go look it up in a textbook."  To me, that's a cold slap in
the face.

On the other hand, I'm really grateful to those language experts here who
care to take the time to explain what a specialized linguistic or
obscure grammar term means and follow up with a clear, relevant example
of what they are talking about.  In that way, an ignorant layman like me
benefits from the discussion and learns something.

> {qSeroHS vayn}
>
> glug, glug, glug!

jItlhuHHa'taH je.

yoDtargh