tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 18 15:57:42 1994

Hamlet News and Advance Orders

Nick and Andrew are working steadily at finishing Hamlet, and Mark and Will
are taking their translations and providing them with feedback; the whole
thing is cycling and should yield up a completed play very soon.

At my end I've been setting up the layout of the book, as well as pasting up
the English material (i.e., all the even numbered pages), and talking with
the Book Manufacturers so that once everyone has finished their respective
tasks YOU will be able to hold a copy of the Klingon Hamlet in your hands.

I've never published a book before, but fortunately I have friends "in the
business," so to speak, who are generous with their time and have been giving
me a painful education in the world of self-publishing.

The good news is, in my paranoid over-cautious calculations I seem to have
overestimated just what it would cost to print and distribute Hamlet.  I was
estimating an even $10,000.  The estimate which just came back from the Book
Manufacturers brings the total closer to $6,000.  A much better number as I'm
sure you'll agree.

Even so, I need that amount upfront, before they'll ship the books to me, and
the KLI simply doesn't have that kind of cash.  More precisely, printing and
mailing the September issue (which is happening this week) will pretty much
wipe us out for a while.  And while I'm committed to seeing Hamlet in print,
and using my own limited resources (I don't have to tell how poorly college
professors are paid) you will all be waiting a while if that's the only way
for us to proceed.  Fortunately, it is not.

But here's the plan:

In order to raise sufficient funds for publishing Hamlet (and to begin
building the capital we will need to publish additional plays) I am asking
you to consider two courses of action.  1) Reserve an advance copy of Hamlet
so that we have your money in hand to help cover the costs and ensure that
you will get one of the copies as soon as they become available.  2) Make a
generous and tax-deductible donation to the KLI, earmarked for use by the
KSRP.

Barring an outright buyout from Pocket Books (yeah, right!) our printing of
Hamlet will be a limited edition as follows:

     1000 first edition copies, numbered from 1 to 1000.
       26 first edition deluxe copies, lettered from <<a>> to <<'>>

Retail price of the first thousand copies will be $18.  To help raise
sufficient funds to cover our expenses, advance purchases will be taken
beginning immediately.  Advance purchase price (which includes domestic
shipping) will be $16.  So, if you send your money in and reserve one now,
you get a $2 discount.  And just to sweeten the deal, KLI members will
receive an additional $2 discount, bringing their cost down to $14 for
advance purchase copies.

Anyone donating $100 or more to this project will receive one of these 1000
first edition copies as a gift, our way of saying thanks.

The twenty-six  deluxe copies will be bound in a "leather-like" substance,
and will be a bit nicer looking.  No price is yet set for these, but anyone
who donates $500 or more to this project will receive one as a gift; one of
only twenty-six volumes individually lettered in pIqaD in the front pages of
the book, perfect for any rare book collectors out there.

All 1026 copies will be 6"x9", printed on 60# recycled, acid-free paper.  The
signatures will be smyth-sewn, the best binding available to us, so that your
copy should last a lifetime.

The publication of Hamlet by the KLI will be a major event for the Klingon
community.  Your support is needed for this to happen, so please, give some
thought to both reserving a copy today by sending in a cheque, and to
donating $100 or more to ensure that we can pull this off.

Klingonists outside the USA who wish to reserve a copy please add $3 for
additional postage and handling.  Your books will be sent to you via airmail.

Payment for reserved copies as well as donations may be sent to:

               Klingon Hamlet
               P.O. Box 634
               Flourtown, PA  19031

On behalf of the translators, the editors, the proofreaders, and everyone
else involved in the KSRP, I thank you for your support and assistance.

Sincerely,

Lawrence M. Schoen, Ph.D.
KLI Director

Back to archive top level