tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 16 08:53:41 1994

Re: introductions

According to Niall Hosking:

[deleted stuff about use of the pronoun {'e'}]

> So what happens in constructions like "Shut up!":
>
> {bijatlh 'e' yimev} ?
>
> As far as I can see, it says:  You speak, you stop that.

That's close. In Klingon, it is two separate sentences, and the
second sentence is imperitive. A better translation is: "You
speak. Stop that!" That fairly clearly means, "Shut up!"

> How does the English verb "stop" work here?  It seems to have no direct
> object - it refers to another verb.  Not an identical case, but one that
> is similarly undefined by your example.

It's direct object is the pronoun {'e'}. Since that pronoun
represents the entire preceeding sentence, in a sense, you are
right. It does indirectly have a verb (the core of the previous
sentence) as a direct object. Still, the pronoun is the one
directly acting as object of {yImev}. The prefix {yI-} can
indicate a 3rd person singular direct object, which is the case
here with {'e'}.

> {qSeroHS vayn}

charghwI'

Back to archive top level