tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 13 07:59:42 1994

Re: KLBC: prepositional phrases

Hu'tegh! nuq ja' R.B Franklin jay'?

=This is something I've always had trouble with:

=If I say {vaSDaq jIyIt}, does that mean:
=1.  I am walking into the hall;
=2.  I am walking towards the hall; or
=3.  I am walking (with)in the hall?
=Is there a way to distinguish these actions in Klingon?

Hehehe. In Modern Greek, the preposition "se" is as ambiguous as Klingon
-Daq. Interestingly enough, the above would be translated as follows:

1. mbeno s' ti sala perpatondas
I_go Daq the hall walking
(vaSDaq vI'el jIyIttaHvIS; you can't say
perpato s' ti sala)
I_walk Daq the hall
2. perpato [s'/ pros] ti sala
I_walk Daq/ towards the hall
3. perpato [mesa] s' ti sala
I_walk [inside] Daq the hall

So in Greek, the equivalent phrase means the last two, and there are ways
of further disambiguating. In Klingon, I'm sure it means all three; to
disambiguate, I'd say:

1. vaS vI'eltaHvIS jIyIt.
2. vaS HeDaq jIyIt.
3. Got me; there's no word for inside.

=Are {yIt} and other verbs of motion like {qet} & {puv} transitive in
=the same way {ghoS} is?  (vaSDaq vIyIt)  And if so, does the verb prefix
=indicate the prepositional relationship of the subject to the preceeding
=noun?
=E.g.	vaSDaq jIyIt	I'm walking (with)in the hall.
=	vaSDaq vIyIt	I'm walking in(to) the hall.

No, because vaSDaq vIghoS would not make sense; it's mean "I go to it to
the hall." Verbs agree with indirect objects only when they're not named
in the sentence, as far as I know; you can say ghIchlIj qanob (which, pace
Holtej, is canon, even if it looks very Englishly), but I doubt you can
say wa' puqvaD yuchmey lunob. jI-/vI- have nothing to do with -Daq. Nice try
though; it *is* the kind of thing languages would do...

--
Nick Nicholas. Linguistics, University of Melbourne.   [email protected]
        [email protected]      [email protected]
        AND MOVING REAL SOON NOW TO: [email protected]

Back to archive top level