tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 12 15:27:59 1994

Re: tu'lu' vs. lutu'lu'

On Sun, 11 Sep 1994, William H. Martin wrote:

> > I'm not sure anyone knows the answer.  Maybe it's something to ask Marc
> > Okrand for the issue after this one.
>
> There are so many other matters that are more vague than this
> that need more urgent attention. My list so far:
>
> 1. -ghach. (Looks like Lawrence is on this one already. Still,
> with so many other things on the list, I can't see how he could
> spend half an hour on -ghach.)
>
> 2. What is the spelling of unwritten new words in canon?
>
> 3. Apposition in general and good use of the verb {pong} in
> particular.
>
> 4. "Which" as a question word, as in, "I don't care which one,"
> which he sloppily dodged in ST3, or as in "Which one do you
> want?
>
> 5. Comparatives with pronouns.
>
> 6. Comparative questions.
>
> 7. Can we use the generic "it" to act as a Sentence as Subject
> in the way that {'e'} acts as the generic "that" for Sentence
> as Object?
>
> 8. When a noun-noun construction combines with a relative
> clause in ambiguous ways, can we use {-'e'} to disambiguate the
> noun the rest of the construction is modifying, in defiance of
> the rule in 3.4 that says the {-'e'} can't follow the first of
> two nouns in a noun-noun construction?
>
> 9. Can we get some help with adverbials? If we can't get more
> of them, can we have some sort of grammatical construction that
> allows us to use adjectival verbs as adverbials, kind of like
> Okrand's recent use of {motlh} as an adverbial? Clearly, HE
> runs into problems with the limits of adverbials as he gives
> them.
>
> 10. Can we please have a comparative that is a LITTLE more
> flexible or at least loosen up the one we've got just a little?
>
> That's it so far. Anybody got anything major to add?

I think there are a couple of verbs which seem to be ambiguous as to
whether they are supposed to be transitive or intransitive; e.g. {Qom}.
It would probably be a major project, but I'd really like to know the
transitivity of every verb.

> charghwI'

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level