tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Sep 10 21:21:23 1994

Hallmark Commercial

Okay folks, I've recorded the commericial, and spent some time with it.
 Gowron is by far the best speaker, and his use of Hol is clear enough that I
can make out everything he says (upon repeated playbacks ;) ).  The others, I
can make out only one line, and part of another.  Here's as far as I've
gotten:

Greetings!
Qapla'

In our many battles we have fought with honor
pIj maSuvpu' batlh maSuvpu'

and achieved victory!
'ej maQapbejta'!

[Note: Gowron doesn't pronoun the glottal stop on {-ta}; he says, "'ej maQap
(long pause) bejtaaaaaaaaaaaa!"]

So to celebrate,
vaj malopmeH

I've gotten you all a gift.
tlhIHvaD nob SaSuqpu'
[that last word actually sounded more like {ja'juq}, as pronounced on TNG
(that is, the /j/ pronounced like the /s/ in 'measure').  Note the incorrect
prefix.]

It's a Klingon Bird of Prey!
tlhIngan toQDujHom 'oH

[Note:  that's all that Gowron said.  All the rest is said by other Klingons,
and as I said above, my skills at understanding them, well, suck.  Here's
what I have:]

It looks so real!
toQDujna' rurchu'

It even has working lights!
Qapqu' wovpu' ........ Hovmey

[Don't get excited by seeing {wovpu'}; it easily could have been something
else.  I doubt Okrand would have made the mistake of using the plural marker
{-pu'} on {wov}, even taking {wov} as a noun.  And, what {Hovmey} is doing
there, don't ask me.  All I can say is, that is clearly what I'm hearing!]

That was real nice of him.

Yeah, we should get him....

a thank-you card!

[These last three lines are all incomprehensible, at least to this
non-conversant Klingon.]

So there it is; can anyone else help fill in the gaps?

--Holtej

Back to archive top level