tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 11 10:41:15 1994

Re: Hallmark Commercial

According to [email protected]:

> Okay folks, I've recorded the commericial, and spent some
> time with it...

> I've gotten you all a gift.
> tlhIHvaD nob SaSuqpu'
> [that last word actually sounded more like {ja'juq}, as pronounced on TNG
> (that is, the /j/ pronounced like the /s/ in 'measure').  Note the incorrect
> prefix.]

Actually, common usage is to have the prefix point to the
indirect object while an explicit noun expresses the direct
object. While years back, I had a hard time with {qajatlh}, I
finally had it drilled through my bony ridge that the prefix
can point to the indirect object, in which case, {tlhIHvaD}
seems surprisingly redundent, but {SaSuqpu'} is not all that
unexpected.

> It even has working lights!
> Qapqu' wovpu' ........ Hovmey

Could that have been {Qapqu' wovqu' Hovmey}? "The stars are
very bright; they very much work!" It would explain the
existence of {Hovmey} and {wov?u'}, and given that he has not
yet revealed a noun for "light" yet, {Hovmey} would do as well
as anything else. {HovHommey} might have done better...

> That was real nice of him.

> Yeah, we should get him....

> a thank-you card!

> [These last three lines are all incomprehensible, at least to this
> non-conversant Klingon.]

It can't be worse than the soldier in ST6 who said, "We can take
the whole by force, what they propose to divide." The best I
can make of what he said was, {qa' wawa pepuH ~~HeHaweHa'} I
could not hear the syllable I've replaced with ~~ because he
pounded his fist against the table for emphasis at that point.
I really can't believe that Okrand didn't dub in his own voice
rather than let that one get past the editors.

Perhaps it is because he couldn't figure out how to say the
subtitle in Klingon? Naaaaaah! So how would *I* say it? Hmmmm.

maHoSchugh Hoch wavjangbogh chaH wIjonlaH.

Not entirely satisfactory, but it beats HeHaweHa'...

> So there it is; can anyone else help fill in the gaps?
>
> --Holtej

I try, with limited resources, as do we all.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level