tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 08 06:06:23 1994

Re: KLBC: Blood of the vanquished

>From: "William H. Martin" <[email protected]>
>Date: Thu, 8 Sep 94 13:24:48 EDT

[Very nice explanation of "-'e'" as head-noun disambiguator deleted]

>'avwI' jeybogh qama''e' loDnI' "The brother of the prisoner,
>who defeated the guard".  Note that in Klingon, it is clear
>that it is the prisoner and not the brother who defeated.

There may be a problem with this.  See Section 3.4.  According to TKD,
"When the noun-noun construction is used, only the second noun can take
syntactic suffixes (Type 5)."  We used this idea here and there to make
apposition more palatable by using type 5 suffixes on both nouns to show
they were not in noun-noun constructions.  True, in this case it might be
that the "-'e'" here doewsn't quite "count," since it's on for a different
reason, and maybe Okrand just didn't think of "-'e'" in this case (he
obviously wanted to keep out "-Daq" and such), but TKD's word is as
presented.

>charghwI'

~mark

Back to archive top level