tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 08 11:04:58 1994

Re: KLBC: Blood of the vanquished

Actually, I think Nick's point is actually still being misunderstood, as
was his reference to Japanese.

>From my own reading of TKD I have always understood 'e' to resemble the
Japanese particle "wa" which (if I remember my freshman year of Japanese)
indicates the topic of the sentence.  What Nick realizes, and so many
seem to forget, is that the TOPIC of the sentence need not be the SUBJECT
of the sentence.  I suspect that English speakers have a hard time with
this whole idea of 'e' as a marker of the topic since it's not much of a
distinction in basic English sentences.

Oh, and while I'm commenting, in addition to Nick's suggestions of four
solutions to stylistic interpretations which might or might not be
grammatical because we don't have any clear canon examples, we can always
just ask Marc Okrand.  Based on my chat with him tonight I think it's
safe to say that he will be quite willing to provide us with many more
insights into Klingon.  While I'm all in favor of the notion that Nick
espouses, that the growing community of Klingonists will continue to
develop an unconscious (and perhaps, unfortunately, inexpressable) "feel"
for the language, it will in all cases be individualistic, and colored by
our respective linguistic experiences.  Does this invalidate it? No, not
at all. But it does prevent us from using it as a standard. So, while I
defend anyone's right to explore Klingon stylistically, if the goal of
your writing is to communicate the content of your writings (which IS a
goal of the KSRP) then I remind you of those words I think I've heard
most from charghwI', "recast recast recast."

Thanks, that's my comment on all this.  Oh, one more thing, *I* didn't
perceive Nick's remark to be a flame.  A bit tactless, but not a flame.
Go figure.  ;)

Lawrence

 --

:: Dr Lawrence M Schoen, Director   :: The KLI is a nonprofit ::

Back to archive top level