tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Sep 03 16:37:56 1994

Re: The Big Word List

>On Sat, 3 Sep 1994, ...Paul wrote:
>
>> Well, David Barron's big programming task was to generate all possible
>> one-syllable words given the tendencies of the Klingon language with
>> respect to leading and trailing consonants.
>>
>> Given the patterns obviously present within TKD, a quick program of mine
>> dumped this as all possible, Klingon-legal, one-syllable letter constructs.
>> Yes, there are quite a few.  It's broken up into two sections; the first
>> doesn't handle any of the vowel-consonant vowel sounds, like Iw, uy, or aw.
>> The second does ONLY this.  Just thought the list might be interested.
>
>So how many different combinations did you come up with?  (I didn't feel
>like counting them all.  {{:-)> )
>
>> ...Paul
>
>yoDtargh

Well, let's see.  There were 21 possible first consonants, 5 standard vowels,
and 23 possible second consonants.  So in that part there were 21x5x23=
2,415 words.

In the second case, there were 21 possible first consonants, 7 abnormal
vowels, and two possible ending markers (nothing or '), so that's an additional
21x7x2 = 294, or a grand total of 2,709 different words.

...Paul