tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 05 22:37:13 1994

Re: The Big Word List

On Sun, 4 Sep 1994, ...Paul wrote:

> >So how many different combinations did you come up with?  (I didn't feel
> >like counting them all.  {{:-)> )
> >
> >> ...Paul
> >
> Well, let's see.  There were 21 possible first consonants, 5 standard vowels,
> and 23 possible second consonants.  So in that part there were 21x5x23=
> 2,415 words.
>
> In the second case, there were 21 possible first consonants, 7 abnormal
> vowels, and two possible ending markers (nothing or '), so that's an additional
> 21x7x2 = 294, or a grand total of 2,709 different words.

I will only say that the above analysis is not correct.  I cannot say
more, because it is the subject of the HolQeD article which I have long
been working on.  (That is to say, someday I shall finish it.  :-)

Klingon contains NO such animal as an "abnormal vowel".  There are merely
/a/, /e/, /I/, /o/ and /u/.  Klingon does not have TRUE dipthongs.  /w/
and /y/ maintain "consonanthood" when following the 5 vowels.  Now, one
might argue that the special variety of /I/ which can only be *heard* as
the English /ee/ or Italian /i/ sound could be considered as an "abnormal
vowel" and thus account for a difference between >jIH< and >*jiH<, but it
is understood that the /I/-/*i/ distinction carries no information.

Additionally, there is no such thing as an "ending marker".  /'/ is a
consonant as much as is /H/.  Just because Okrand's transcription system
uses the apostrophe, doesn't make it a "marker."  (As a matter of fact,
when doing word processing, if the larger apostrophe used when working
with Arabic transliterations is available, I use it.  At one point years
ago, I was even using /9/ to emphasize the consonantal character of /'//)

Guess this should encourage me to finish the article soon.

<[email protected]>     >tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh'a'?<  "Pardon me, but if I must
David E G Sturm, Laboratory Manager                operate in a vacuum, can
Wake Forest University Department of Physics       I at least have a little
Box 7261 Reynolda Station, Winston-Salem NC 27109  ether to calm my nerves?"

Back to archive top level