tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 26 05:20:00 1994

"May you continue to . . . "

This construction popped up when I was trying to compose a birthday message
for a fellow Hol enthusiast.  I wanted something with a Klingon sentiment,
but as I'm not quite able to think in Klingon, I started with
English.  One line I came up with was "May you continue to live honorably",
which was problematic to cast in tlhIngan Hol.  The obvious
"batlh *bIyIntaHjaj" is incorrect because it uses a type 7 suffix and "jaj"
on the same stem (I suspect that it works out to something like
"May you be living honorably" anyway).  But simply "batlh bIyInjaj" doesn't
carry the intended implication that this is an ongoing action rather than one
that I would like to see begin.

Some other possibilities:

	batlh bIyIntaH 'e' DataHjaj	Assumes that taH is "transitive", and
					this isn't  the taH sense of English
					"to continue" anyway.

	batlh bIyInqa'jaj		Implies that you've stopped and
					I would like you to start again . . .

	batlh bIyIntaH 'e' vItul	The direct approach, avoiding -jaj
					altogether.  I think this works.

Anyone have any other ideas?

-marqoS
--
Mark J. Reed
Email: [email protected] - Voice: +1 404 315 6296 x158 - Fax: +1 404 315 0293

Back to archive top level