tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 18 07:14:32 1994

Re: -vaD

>From: [email protected]
>Date: Mon, 17 Oct 1994 16:21:17 EST

>I'm  a little at a loss when it comes to -vaD.  If you want to say:
>    "I give him it (I give it to him)", would you say:

>hypothetical --->  ghaHvaD vInob.
>   or
>hypothetical --->  ghaH vInob.

>  My gut feeling is that only the first one is correct, and the second one
>is totally ungrammatical and should not even be given the space that it's
>getting right now.

The second isn't ungrammatical.... but it doesn't mean what you want.
You've simply supplied the object of "nob" as a pronoun (which is usually
optional), and have no indirect object.  So it means "I gave him/her,"
perhaps to someone else, much as "'oH vInob" is just a wordier way of
saying "I gave it".  To say "I gave it to him," yes, you'd need the -vaD.

>  Along similar lines, how would you render the following:

>I speak to him.

Either ghaHvaD jIjatlh or vIjatlh.  The distinction between direct and
indirect objects is blurred in Klingon; if you only have an indirect object
you can put it in the object place.  Then again, unless it really is a
one-sided conversation, I'm trying to teach myself to use "majatlhchuq ghaH
jIH je" for such things.

>I'm talking to you.

SoHvaD jIjatlh or qajatlh (or tlhIHvaD jIjatlh/ Sajatlh).  Some like to use
"qajatlh" as a greeting, since "nuqneH" sometimes sounds funny if it's not
a response.

>John speaks to the captain.

HoDvaD jatlh "John", or jatlhchuq HoD "John" je.  I suppose HoD jatlh John
would work, but it would be very likely to be confused for "John said "The
captain"".

>William

~mark

Back to archive top level