tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 18 07:35:08 1994

Re: -taH

>From: [email protected]
>Date: Mon, 17 Oct 1994 16:23:01 EST

>Would anyone care to elaborate on the aspect suffix -taH.  I know about
>its use with -Daq, but how about some examples of its other uses.

Well, it always goes with -vIS, for one thing (actually, -vIS always goes
with it):  jISoptaHvIS, 'el HoD (the captain entered whjile I was eating).

It's not required with -taH; "pa'DajDaq ghaH" is okay too.  The "-taH" just
emphasizes that his being in his room is something that is ongoing.

It implies that the activity is ongoing (see my article in HolQeD 2:4).

qatlh SaHbe' HoD (why isn't the captain here?)  QongtaH (he is sleeping.
Not just "he slleeps", but his sleeping is an ongoin activity, which
encompasses and enfolds the current time).  Hmm, not the greatest example,
is it?  I'll see if I can think of a better one.

~mark

Back to archive top level