tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 14 14:51:54 1994

Re: Komerex stela

> "Klingon Language List" <[email protected]> writes:
> \ I came across a term in one of the TOS paperbacks (The Final Reflexion??)
> \ that described the symbol that represens the Klingon Empire, Komerex stela.
> \ If I'm not mistaken Komerex means "a structure that grows" as opposed to
> \ Khesterex which means "a structure that wanes." Has anybody heard of this
> \ before? I would appreciate any kind of feedback.
> The language of the Klingons in John M. Ford's excellent book,
> _The_Final_Reflection_, is Klingonaase.  It has no relationship to tlhIngan
> Hol other than the fact that Klingons in some media speak it.  Since the
> Parmount Powers That Be hold that nothing is 'canonical' Star Trek unless it
> appears on the small or large screen, Ford's Klingons are an interesting
> exploration of what Klingon culture might have been like in some other
> version of the Star Trek Universe - nothing more.  A shame, perhaps.
>
> In any event, Klingonaase, like the vast majority of alien languages that
> appear in SF, is not documented outside of the work of fiction in which it
> appears.  We don't know if or to what extent Ford developed it as a language;
> we have no data apart from the snippets in _TFR_ and
> _How_Much_for_Just_the_Planet?_ (which also includes some tlhIngan Hol in
> a different transcription system, and is also a hilariously funny book.)
>
> -marqoS

Actually, there's a bit more of Ford's Klingonaase in several Roleplay
manuals that were put out (back before they lost the right to do their ST
RP game). Ford had a hand in them, as I understand it. Many Klingon fan
groups use these gaming manuals and Ford's novels for their
conceptualizations of Klingons and Klingon society. Some of it is quite
thorough and makes for an interesting read.

Lawrence

--

:: Dr Lawrence M Schoen, Director   :: The KLI is a nonprofit ::

Back to archive top level