tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 14 05:40:37 1994

Re: Komerex stela

"Klingon Language List" <[email protected]> writes:
\ I came across a term in one of the TOS paperbacks (The Final Reflexion??)
\ that described the symbol that represens the Klingon Empire, Komerex stela.
\ If I'm not mistaken Komerex means "a structure that grows" as opposed to
\ Khesterex which means "a structure that wanes." Has anybody heard of this
\ before? I would appreciate any kind of feedback.
The language of the Klingons in John M. Ford's excellent book,
_The_Final_Reflection_, is Klingonaase.  It has no relationship to tlhIngan
Hol other than the fact that Klingons in some media speak it.  Since the
Parmount Powers That Be hold that nothing is 'canonical' Star Trek unless it
appears on the small or large screen, Ford's Klingons are an interesting
exploration of what Klingon culture might have been like in some other
version of the Star Trek Universe - nothing more.  A shame, perhaps.

In any event, Klingonaase, like the vast majority of alien languages that
appear in SF, is not documented outside of the work of fiction in which it
appears.  We don't know if or to what extent Ford developed it as a language;
we have no data apart from the snippets in _TFR_ and
_How_Much_for_Just_the_Planet?_ (which also includes some tlhIngan Hol in
a different transcription system, and is also a hilariously funny book.)
Dr. Schoen has stated that any new information about Klingonaase would be a
valid subject for academic pursuit under the auspices of the KLI, but
it currently doesn't exist, and it doesn't seem likely to exist in the
forseeable future.

"Komerex" and "khesterex" (which is possibly related to the expletive "khest")
do have the meanings you ascribe them.  As far as I know, there is no
canonical Hol term for the Komerex stela, so we might as well call it by
the Klingonaase term until one shows up.

\ I'm including a picture of the Komerex stella that I drew in ASCII.
\ this is the first time that I've tried to draw anything with ASCII.
majqa'.  I have seen smaller versions floating around in .sigs, but I
don't have one handy, and my own artistic talents don't extend to ASCII
artwork . . .

-marqoS

--
Mark J. Reed
Email:  [email protected] - Voice: +1 404 315 6296 x158 - Fax: +1 404 315 0293

Back to archive top level