tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 12 13:03:25 1994

Re: ANOTHER TRY

>From: "William H. Martin" <[email protected]>
>Date: Tue, 11 Oct 94 17:36:39 EDT

>DaH tlhIngan Hol lo'bogh jabbI'IDwIj'e' cha'DIch vIta'.

>Hmm. This is actually not easy to say in Klingon. I was seeking
>to say, "Now, I accomplish my second transmission which uses
>Klingon language." The sticking point is that {cha'DIch} is
>chuvmey in a position and with a function similar to an
>adjectival verb, which would take the {-'e'} suffix instead of
>{jabbI'IDwij}, but then that rule is for adjectival verbs and
>not chuvmey, but then when pronouns (chuvmey) behave as verbs,
>they get verb suffixes. So, where does the {-'e'} go?

>How about a word from the REAL grammarians?

Eek, that's me!  Hrm.  I doubt there's any canon evidence, and none springs
to mind.  Off the top of my head, speaking as myself and not as Okrand or
anything, I'd be inclined to treat cha'DIch just like an adjectival verb
and stick the -'e' onto it.

>I also thought of:

>tlhIngan Hol jabbI'IDwIj cha'DIch chen wanI'vam.

>"This event forms my second transmission of the language of a
>Klingon."

>Perhaps that is less grammatically strange?

Grammatically, maybe, but not semantically (or maybe neither, depending on
how you define grammar).  "chen" means "take form"; it doesn't mean
"comprise".  I can't really see "chen" being used transitively too much.
"chenmoH" might work here, but the meaning isn't quite right. Maybe
"tlhIngan Hol jabbI'IDwIj cha'DIch vIngeHmeH, jabbI'IDvam vIngeH."  It
sounds a little redundant in English, but not really in Klingon.

>charghwI'

>DaH jISopmeH vIjaHnIS.

~mark

Back to archive top level