tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 12 12:50:04 1994

Re: KLBC: {-ghach}

>From: "Mark E. Shoulson" <[email protected]>
>Date: Tue, 11 Oct 1994 16:32:02 -0400

Dear me, errors, errors...

> To translate the sentence, you
>don't try to find Klingon pieces that fit together the same way the KLingon
>ones do, you cut the picture up differently.

You knew I meant "English" in one place and "Klingon" in the other, right?

>>> yu'pu'ghach 		a question

>>I seriously doubt the accuracy of this. If the HolQeD article
>>makes this acceptable, then I need to study this new language
>>that Klingon has become. Did we get a new empiror recently? The
>>use of the perfective has me stumped.

>It probably works.  It's "a thing which has been asked" (think Cherokee,
>charghwI'; -ghach has many meaning, including "event" or "things which
>is..." If "d-se-s-di" (or whatever) means "they have been written" and
>means "letters" in Cherokee, the "yu'pu'ghach" for "it has been asked" can
>work for "question.")

Just in case someone quotes me, I had this wrong.  "Di-se-s-di" is "they
have been counted" and means "numbers"; The word for "letters" is
"de-go-hwe-lv" (the v is pronounced like "uh" but nasalized): "they have
been written."

~mark

Back to archive top level