tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 13 16:25:52 1994

Re: KLBC: {-ghach}

According to Mark E. Shoulson:

> Necessity is the mother of
> invention?  "poQlu'mo' 'oghlu'."  "One invents because one needs."

As one who enjoys a well recast translation, I heartily enjoyed
this one. Waaay cool.

> charghwI' won't like my "-lu'" on intransitives,...

This is no longer true. I'm a convert. Suddenly it makes sense
to me. I'm not sure why the change of attitude, but somehow now
I'm quite comfortable with it. Sometimes I make a comment to
the effect that it is strange to do this, but it is as if it
were coming from a flashback from an earlier personality. I
look at my own comments and wonder what I thought was the
problem.

>... but it's supported, and
> especially in a proverb context like this it's very fitting.  What's all
> this talk about mothers anyway?  And why use nouns when verbs work just as
> well (and are simpler in the sentence)?

majQa'! Dunqu'!

> >> Different subject:  How do you say "about", "concerning", "relating to"
> >> as in "This book is about targs"?
>
> >targhmey buStaH paqvam.
>
> or qeltaH.  Thanks again for a brilliant recast, charghwI'.

Consider it an exchange for "mother of invention".

> ~mark

charghwI'

Back to archive top level