tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 30 12:05:21 1994

One more thing (was: KBGC...)

I realized something I'd missed in my corrections to this:

>>Date: Fri, 25 Nov 1994 15:50:36 -0500
>>Originator: [email protected]
>>From: Heidi Wessman <[email protected]>

>>It is the night of our dears Savior's birth.
>>[Our dear Savior is(was) born that night]
>>ramvetlh bogh toDwI'ma'voy

To which I'd said, among other things...

>There's no suffix "*-voy".  I think you're trying for the
>endearment/diminuative suffix "-oy", which would fit, I guess... but I must
>point out that to me that dsounds like calling Jesus "our little
>saviorkins", which somehow doesn't seem quite right to my ear.  Then again,
>I'm not Christian; maybe it works better for someone else.

All of which remains true (or at least, I'd still say it).  But I missed
another point.  If, indeed, the endearment suffix "-oy" is intended, the
order is also wrong.  "-oy" is a type 1 noun suffix, and would therefore
immediately follow the noun toDwI', making it toDwI'oyma'.  I still think
it sounds like "savior-snookums" though.

~mark

Back to archive top level