tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 29 07:30:34 1994

Re: ...American slang?

On Mon, 28 Nov 1994, Sami Laitala wrote:
> Nov 25 1994 Mark E. Shoulson wrote:
> > Eep, just noticed this while reading a post of
> > yoDtagh's: another of Okrand's little puns:
> > qop == arrest (v)
> > In case you're still lost, think American slang
> > for the folks who arrest you...?
> Isn't cop an old *British* word (verb) meaning "catch"?
> [originates: Fr. caper = seize]

Hmm, the story used to be that /cop/ was short for "copper" referring to
the copper badges that London policemen wore in olden times.  Although on
consideration, (boy that star is hot!), a connection to F. caper makes sense.

<[email protected]>     >tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh'a'?<  "Pardon me, but if I must
David E G Sturm, Laboratory Manager                operate in a vacuum, can
Wake Forest University Department of Physics       I at least have a little
Box 7261 Reynolda Station, Winston-Salem NC 27109  ether to calm my nerves?"

Back to archive top level