tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 28 09:38:55 1994

TKD examples

tlhInganpu', qajatlh.

The examples in TKD in the USEFUL KLINGON EXPRESSIONS
frequently bother me. Today, I have recognized yet another
lousey example (IMESHO, of course):

nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'.

This should obviously be:

nuqDaq puchpa' 'oH.

Why?

Why ask why?

Basically, check out the following progression, and it should
become clear:

nuq ghaH Qanqor'e'?

tlhIngan ghaH Qanqor'e'.

nuqDaq Qanqor ghaHtaH?

DujlIjDaq Qanqor ghaHtaH.

nuq ghaH puchpa''e'?

puch ghajbogh pa''e' ghaH puchpa''e'.

nuqDaq puchpa' 'oH?

vaSDaq, vaj lojmIt cha'DIch poSDaq puchpa' 'oH.

Basically, the question word nuqDaq is a locative, and as such,
should not be the object of the pronoun being used as an
adjective. It should just be at the beginning of the sentence.
Since the sentence consists of a noun and a pronoun used as the
verb "to be", that sentence should fit the norm for that kind
of sentence, placing the noun first, then the pronoun. Period.

charghwI'
--

 \___
 o_/ \