tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 24 00:19:30 1994

Re: mughwI'

Regarding ghunghach, De'wI'He, etc.

Boy, I didn't know I was cutting the targh's leash with this one!

The reason I didn't follow the general dictum by Okrand, to use -taH on
nominalized verbs, was because of my interpretation of his discussion.
 Normally, when one is using a nominalized verb in this fasion, it is
something like a gerund or a participle: drinking.  My word doesn't refer to
an on-going activity, a "programming," but just a single event,
'out-of-time,' as it were, a "program."  Recognizing it's a highly-marked
form, using -ghach on a bare stem, I took the plunge, the occassional
rule-flouting for precision.  Go grab your 'oy'naQmey, and lay it on me.

Personally, I find De'wI'He quite opaque.  I like ~mark's De'wI'mIw, but it
makes it hard to talk about a computer process, like interrupt handling,
without confusing the software (code) from the hardware.  Then again, do we
really expect to be talking about these things in tlhIngan Hol?

--Holtej

Back to archive top level