tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 24 00:11:11 1994

Re: "how many times"

Hu'tegh! nuq ja' Mark J. Reed jay'?

=I like Nick's idea of {'arlogh}, but there is one aspect of {'ar} that makes me
=wary of it.  The rest of the question words are placed in the same position
=in the question as the answer in the reply: {chay'} goes at the front,
={nuq} replaces the noun to which it refers, etc.  But {'ar}, at least in
=the sence of "how many", does not go in the same place as the answer:

=	na'Dev yaS 'ar tu'lu'?		How many officers are here?
=	na'Dev vagh yaS tu'lu'.		There are five officers here.

={'ar} follows the noun it modifies, while a number functioning as a counting
=adjective precedes the noun it modifies.  This small difference in usage
=makes me hesitate to use {'ar} as a number in any other way.

SaHbe'law'mo' Qanqor, tri'Qal je, qeS'e' chaq lujatlhbogh vIjatlh: tobbogh De',
tobHa'bogh De' joq wIghajbe'mo', mu' Sarvam chu' wilo'be'nIS, tlhIngan pabHey
pabchugh je 'oH. meq rapmo', "-Daq" mojaq ghajbe'bogh "vogh"'e' lutempu'.
mI'Hey 'oH "'ar"'e', 'a mI'na' 'oH wej 'e' wISovtaHvIS, mI' DameH 'oH lo'mey
DIb wIghajbe'.

charghwI'vaD: *ghuy'Do*vaD jIQay' 'e' qayajmoHlaw'pu'. qarbe'. jIQay'rupDI',
muQay'Ha'moH *ghuy'Do*, *Hamlet* jabbI'IDDaj vIloStaHqu'bogh vIHevmo'.

--
 Nick Nicholas. Melbourne University, Aus. [email protected]

Back to archive top level