tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 18 05:13:54 1994

Re: Sound Files

[email protected] writes:
\ I apologize if this question has been asked before.  I checked in at the
\ Klingon Language Institute on the WorldWide Net and found an area that,
\ I presume, lets me download spoken Klingon letters.  The files all end
\ with the extension ".au".  How are these files used?  I have a
\ Spectrum16 Proaudio sound board installed but don't know if the
\ above files need to be uncompressed first.  Any help would be greatly
\ appreciated.

".au" format files are formatted for Sun Sparcstations' built-in audio.
They're mu-law encoded 8-bit samples at a 8kHz sample rate (actually, I
think it's 8,192 Hz).  I presume you're running DOS/Windows on your PC, in
which case you will need to locate an audio conversion utility
to turn these into a format that your software recognizes - such as .WAV.
(If you're running Linux on your PC, then its sound drivers will handle .au
files already . . .)

-marqoS

--
Mark J. Reed
Email: [email protected] - Voice: +1 404 315 6296 x158 - Fax: +1 404 315 0293

Back to archive top level