tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 14 06:35:14 1994

A Klingon Fable

I was watching the TNG episode "Birthright" this weekend and noticed several
pieces of Klingon Mythology told in story form.  There is also one in
another TNG episode that I can not remember the title (Worf goes to a
romulun prison camp in an attempt to free his father.)  I transcribed those
and began to put them back in tlhIngan Hol.  Here is the first I have
completed. The tlhIngan is given first, followed by about twenty blank lines
and then the english. The one proper noun given is *qInlat* which is the
name of a city.  Also I used < and > to delimit quotes.

ben law', *qInlat*Daq choltaH SuS'a' HoSghaj
Qan'eghmeH, veng lu'el tlhInganpu'
'ach Hur ratlhtaH wa' loD
loD ghoS qeylIS 'ej <nuq DanID> tlhob qeylIS
<mughIjbe' SuS'a'
veng naghmey bIng vISo'be'
naDev vIQamlI' 'ej SuS'a' vIqaD 'ej muvuv 'e' vIraDqu'> jatlh
wIvDaj lob qeylIS 'ej veng 'el qeylIS
qaSDI' po, paw SuS'a' 'ej Hegh loD
qoH vuvbe'qu'bej SuS
SuS'a' HeDaq yIratlhbe'

Long ago a storm was heading for the city of {Qinlat}.
The people sought protection within the walls.
All except one man who remained outside.
Kayless went to him and asked what he was doing.
"I am not afraid.
I will not hide behind stone and mortar.
I will stand before the wiind and make it respect me." he said
Kayless honored his choice and went inside.
The next day the storm came and the man wass kliied.
The wind does not respect a fool.
Do not stand before the wind!

              ____
             |INRI|