tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 15 18:37:27 1994

Re: A Klingon Fable

>Date: Mon, 14 Nov 1994 09:50:39 -0500
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: [email protected] (Matt Whiteacre)

OK, I took a look at your translation of the fable.  For the most part I
found it quite readable and correct.  Just a few comments....

>ben law', *qInlat*Daq choltaH SuS'a' HoSghaj

I think I can accept "ben law'" as a time-phrase, in case you're wondering.

>Qan'eghmeH, veng lu'el tlhInganpu'
>'ach Hur ratlhtaH wa' loD

"HurDaq ratlhtaH".  Just because it seems like a location doesn't mean it
doesn't take "-Daq"; that's only true of naDev, pa' and Dat.

>loD ghoS qeylIS 'ej <nuq DanID> tlhob qeylIS

Maybe "chol" instead of "ghoS"?  Stylistically, I'd drop the second
"qeylIS"; but that's me.  I've been editing too much Hamlet; I'm starting
to comment everything like it.

><mughIjbe' SuS'a'
>veng naghmey bIng vISo'be'

Again, "veng naghmey bIngDaq jISo'be'".  Probably "jISo'Qo'": I *won't*
hide behind city rocks. (should it be jISo''eghQo'?)

>naDev vIQamlI' 'ej SuS'a' vIqaD 'ej muvuv 'e' vIraDqu'> jatlh
>wIvDaj lob qeylIS 'ej veng 'el qeylIS
>qaSDI' po, paw SuS'a' 'ej Hegh loD
>qoH vuvbe'qu'bej SuS
>SuS'a' HeDaq yIratlhbe'

Remember, you don't put "-be'" on imperatives; use "-Qo'" instead.  SuS'a'
HeDaq yIratlhQo'.  (note that this is a no-object imperative; were this
command given to more than one person, it'd be peratlhQo').

~mark

Back to archive top level