tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 09 21:51:46 1994

Re: pronouns and <-bogh>

>\ And now for some Klingon:
>\
>\ My Klingon line name is Cheghjihtah, it is as near as I could come to "I
>\ always return". Any comments on how bad my Klingon is?
>We don't comment on good or bad - we just offer constructive criticism.
>Snce you're a beginner, the job of correcting your Klingon properly
>falls to the Beginner's Grammarian, who I'm not - but since you said you'd
>accept any input:
>
>My first comment is that you should pay attention to the capitalization of
>letters in the transcription.  It's not arbitrary, but emphasizes the
>differences between Klingon and English pronunciation.  And while you could
>conceivably do away with the capitalization of I, D, and S, the letters
>Q and q refer to two different sounds, so you can't just pick lowercase or
>uppercase based on English capitalization rules.

understood.

>Onto the name and the motto:
>
>"I always return" would be literally cast as "reH jIchegh" - "reH"
>means "always", and "jIchegh" is "I return", from the verb "chegh" (return)
>and the pronoun prefix "jI-" which means that the subject of the verb is
>"I" and that there is no object.
>
>"chegh jIHtaH" would be something like "I continue to be chegh" where "chegh"
>is a noun that we haven't seen before, but which is probably related to
>the verb "chegh".

The way I understood it was "I continue (or as close as I could come to
always) to return, I don't remember chegh being a noun but as a verb.

>\ Secondly, on this point, My line motto is Yin Qap'ej this is supposed to
>\ say "Survive and Succeed". How badly did I mangle this one.
>Very close.  You made exactly the opposite of the ususal "and" error - when
>joining nouns, the "je" does go after both nouns, but when joining verbs,
>the "'ej" goes between them, just as English: "yIn 'ej Qap".
>
>You might want to change the form of the verbs, though - what the above
>literally means is "they live and succeed" (or "It lives and succeeds", etc.).
>Although it's arguably Clipped Klingon for some other sense, if you have
>something else in mind, you might want to say it explicitly:
>
>"May you live and succeed" would be "bIyInjaj 'ej bIQapjaj" -
>"We live and succeed" would be "mayIn 'ej maQap".   Or you could fall back
>on the nominal version from the book - "Survival and success!" (well,
>actually, "Life and success!") would be "yIn Qapla' je".

It was supposed to be almost issued as a challenge to the line members, in
Clipped Klingon. And according to my KD Qap is Succeed where Qapla is
Success, or did I read it wrong?

>-marqoS
>--
>Mark J. Reed
>Email: [email protected] - Voice: +1 404 315 6296 x158 - Fax: +1 404 315 0293
>SecureWare, Inc. / 2957 Clairmont Rd Suite 200 / Atlanta GA 30329-1647

Makin

--
|--Makin--|Humans,  you can't live with them, you can't kill them|---------|
|---------|(With out express permission from the Thought Admiral)|---------|