tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 09 20:52:52 1994

Re: the qelI'qam

On Wed, 9 Nov 1994, Chet Braun wrote:

> >Surely SOME Klingons must have lost fingers (or other parts) when
> >attacked by another Klingon who happened to be wielding a betleH?
>
> > - toDbaj
>
> Statistically you're probably correct, however, it would be equivalent to
> loosing a finger while holding a typical European or Chinese straight
> sword.  In other words it doesn't say much for your weapon techniques!
> And probably someone that poor at swordsmanship wouldn't be well respected
> enough to have an entire numbering system evolve from him/her.

Actually, in epee fencing, your opponent's weapon hand and forearm are
primary targets since they are the closest body parts to you.  If the
epee didn't have a bell guard to protect the front of your hand, the
fingers would probably be the first things to go.

I've also got my fingers whacked in kendo practice.  Fortunately, you wear
thick, padded mitts (kote).

I don't know much about betleH techniques, but considering the weapon
does not have hand guards, I think it is very conceivable that one could
loose fingers.

> Chet Braun

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level