tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 09 12:43:17 1994

RE: KLBC: Does this sentence make sense?

>Ah.  You may be misunderstanding the verb.  "vem" is what you do in the
>morning.  It's the act of cessation of sleep, and it's intransitive.
>"vemmoH" is what your alarm clock does to you: it *causes you* to perform
>the act of "vem."  So it's more of a transitive verb: you use it to
>indicate that something woke something else, *as opposed to* "vem"  which
>is just someone awakening.

>Got it?

I understand, I think.  "vem" is the act of waking up.  "vemmoH" is to *cause*
something to wake up. Right? So what is the difference between the word
"vemmoH", and putting "-moH" on the word vem? Is there a difference? If there
is'nt, then why is it in the TKD?

			Joe Schelin

Back to archive top level