tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 08 10:51:51 1994

RE: KLBC: Does this sentence make sense?

>Date: Mon, 7 Nov 1994 18:07:03 -0500
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: "METEU, THE MIGHTY LLAMA" <[email protected]>

I'll leave the rest of this for charghwI' to continue his fine explanation.

>What I meant is that it seems that vemmoH already has the sense that is
>supposed to be given by -moH.  It might just be the way I read it.
>Sorry if I mangled this reply. I had to do it by hand.

Ah.  You may be misunderstanding the verb.  "vem" is what you do in the
morning.  It's the act of cessation of sleep, and it's intransitive.
"vemmoH" is what your alarm clock does to you: it *causes you* to perform
the act of "vem."  So it's more of a transitive verb: you use it to
indicate that something woke something else, *as opposed to* "vem"  which
is just someone awakening.

Got it?

>				   Joe Schelin

~mark