tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 09 04:56:56 1994

A Prayer

 uu> From: "Mark E. Shoulson" <ur-valhalla!cs.columbia.edu!shoulson>

 uu> Pardons for jumping in on Qill; I haven't posted much lately. I'm
 uu> going to do this in English, to make sure it's read.

Glad to see you're still with us!

 >qeylIS,
 >jIchoHlaHbe'bogh Dochmey vIlaj 'e' chaw'bogh jottaHghach HInob,

 uu> "jIchoHlaHbe'bogh Dochmey" is wrong, for starters.  If you delete the
 uu> "-bogh" from a relative clause, you should wind up with a sentence.
 uu> "jIchoHlaHbe' Dochmey" isn't a sentence, and it doesn'tmean "I can
 uu> change things".  Since the "things" are what's being changed, they are
 uu> the *obnject* of the verb, and so come first.  Also, if I'm changing
 uu> them, I have to use the I/them prefix on the verb: vI-, not jI-.  Do it
 uu> has to be "Dochmey vIchoHlaHbe'bogh"

Hagh qoHpu' neH HeghtaHvIS SuvwI'pu'.  I agree.  Please, feel free to use your
'oy'naQmey on me.

 uu> You might want to go to "-meH" instead of phraseology like "accepting
 uu> calmness".  Maybe "choQaHmo', Dochmey vIchoHlaHbe'bogh vIlajmeH
 uu> jIjotjaj." (may I be calm in order to accept the things I cannot
 uu> change, because you help me).

 >jIchoHlaHbogh Dochmey vIchoH 'e' chaw'bogh toDuj HInob,

 uu> Similarly here, "Dochmey vIchoHlaHbogh vIchoHmeH jIyoHjaj."

That does look much more legible, and intelligible.

 >'ej muberghmoHpu'mo' jIHoHnISbogh ghotpu'vetlh porghDu' vISo' 'e' chaw'bogh
 >yoj QaQ HInob

 uu> A useful word: "lom" for "porgh".  At which point I myself would use
 uu> "lommey" and not "lomDu'", though I don't know if I could tell you
 uu> why. Again, ghotpu' vIHoHnISbogh lom vISo'meH jIvaljaj.

Thank you!  I somehow missed {lom} in my AKD.  Corrected, and flagged!

+ Sogh Qob vestai-qutvaj, Second Officer, IKV Crystal Dagger, KAG     +
+ Internet: [email protected]        +
+ Fidonet : Bill Willmerdinger @ 1:2613/477.1701                      +

... jol yIchu'!

Back to archive top level