tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 08 15:50:27 1994

Re: the qelI'qam, was Re: Nonexistent words ...?

To debunk a theory, the meter is NOT based on a portion of the Earth, it is,
in fact, the distance that some particle travels through a vacuum in such-and-
such time.  Unfortunately, I don't know what the particle is, or how much
time they allow it to travel.  BUT.  I do know that the distance is always
the same, and thus is a very good way to accurately record a unit of distance.

I was watching ST:III a while back, and they mentioned Kellicams when they
were getting ready to fire on the Enterprise around the Genesis planet.  They
had gotten to within 500 kellicams before they decided to decloak.  Of course,
Star Trek is ridiculous when it comes to scale, and they often mess that up,
so it doesn't say much.  However, it was obvious that a kellicam is nothing
like a "foot", or a "parsec".  I doubt it would be a mile, given the relative
positions of the ships, so it could very well be something on the order of
a meter...

...Paul

Back to archive top level