tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 04 10:31:10 1994

Re: Rooms of the erudite

>Date: Tue, 1 Nov 1994 22:31:46 -0500
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: "William H. Martin" <[email protected]>

>According to Jason K. Green:
>>

>> I'm trying to come up with a word for 'study' or 'library'  Here are the
>> best ideas so far:
>>
>> Study - HaDmeh pa' (thanks to 'aj Qel)

>Unfortunately, this means, "In order that the room studies..."
>People often misunderstand the {-meH} suffix. They try to use
>it for more functions than suit it.

Well, yes and no.  There's also been some (a lot, really) use of "-meH"
clauses to modify nouns, especially since "-meH" can be used impersonally.
This would make "HaDmeH pa'" be "a room in order to study".  Evidence for
this usage comes from p. 65, where Okrand refers specifically to
"ja'chuqmeH rojHom" as "a truce in order to confer".

>charghwI'

~mark

Back to archive top level