tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 31 02:48:50 1994

HolQeDvo' Dochmey

        Reply to:   HolQeDvo' Dochmey
Sorry if this has been discussed before.   I finally got caught up on
reading HolQeD, and I noticed this in HolQeD 2:4. In _mu'mey noy_, this
sentence is given:
  ngIpwI' nojwI' ghap yImojbe'
There is an obvious error: yImojbe' should be yImojQo'.  But there is a
more subtle and interesting error.  I believe the sentence should be:
  ngIpwI' nojwI' joq yImojQo'
This says "Refuse to become a lender or a borrower or both" as Polonius
certainly intended.  The sentence
  ngIpwI' nojwI' ghap yImojQo'
says "Refuse to become a lender *OR* a borrower".  That is, refuse to
become only a lender, or only a borrower.  You can obey the ghap version
in two ways, either by refraining from lending or borrowing, or by
becoming both a lender and a borrower.  The difference between ghap and
joq is sometimes hard for me to keep straight, probably because English
uses one word for both.  It took a lot of thought to convince myself that
joq is correct here.  Anyway, maybe a better way to say this is
"yIngIpQo' 'ej yInojQo'".

Secondly, I'm puzzled by two elementary errors in Mark Shoulson's article
on aspect suffixes in the same issue.  I can't believe that Mark would
have made these mistakes; chuq jImaw'choHlaw''a'?  The sentence "HoD
jIqIHDI' muvan" is translated "When I met the captain [for the first
time], he saluted me."  It should be "HoD vIqIHDI' muvan", qar'a'?
And the sentence "pa' 'elpa' qama' HoH HoD" is translated "The captain
kills the prisoner before I enter the room." This should be  "pa' vI'elpa'
qama' HoH HoD", right?  Or the English should be "before he enters the room".

--nachHegh
[email protected]

Back to archive top level