tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 16 23:37:49 1994

Re: yIlaD

According to Nick NICHOLAS:
> =reH SuvtaH chaH wIja'chuqtaHchugh vaj wIch wIyInmoHtaH
> Will, did you mean "'e' wIja'chuq", or "DIja'chuq"?
> --
> Nick.

	I struggled with this one for a bit. My first point of
confusion was over the use of {-chuq} with a verb that had a
prefix that implied an object. This is not normal, but I
decided that {ja'chuq} has become a separate verb from
{ja'+chuq} since it has its own separate entry. Once past that,
I recognized that it was a verb of speaking, so it did not need
{'e'}, though the object is still the previous sentence, so it
is singular. All that is to say that I did intentionally say
{reH SuvtaH chaH wIja'chuqtaHchugh vaj wIch wIyInmoHtaH}. It
would not have been incorrect to have included {'e'} before
{wIja'chuqtaHchugh}, though it is clearly not necessary.

I've tried to look at it in some way so that {DI-} would be
appropriate, but it always creates problems. If {SuvtaH} became
{SuvtaHbogh}, then I could see {DI-} being used, because then
it means, "If we continue to discuss those who are always
fighting..." Then again, as my departed step-father often said,
"If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his tail every time he
jumped."

This was supposed to be folk wisdom. The point is, {SuvtaH}
didn't have a {-bogh}, so the object of {wIja'chughtaHchugh} is
not the pronoun {chaH}, so it is not plural, and since
{ja'chugh} is a verb of speaking, we don't need {'e'}.

Did I miss anything?

charghwI'

Back to archive top level