tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 12 04:21:51 1994

Re: CK errata?

charghwI'vo':

\ . . .I do remember suggesting that it was
\quite educational to try it out for yourself.
I agree that it is quite educational to try to find them on one's own;
I spent some time doing just that.  But it is also helpful to have
a check, to point out ones I might have missed so that I might listen
once more, even more closely, and be enlightened.    For while I have
been studying tlhIngan Hol on my own since the first edition of the mu'ghom
appeared in 1985, reading this list almost since its inception, and
reading HolQeD since 1.1, I'm still not quite arrogant enough to presume
to know it all. :)  [Of course, if I've been on the bleeding edge of
tlhIngan Hol for so long, why didn't I get the tapes sooner?   Good
question, for which I don't have a good answer.]

Mostly, I was interested in any consensus reached about errors vs.
new rules.  For example, I recall that the word order of toasts and
the use of "nuq" as a verb (like the personal pronouns) were
accepted at least by Krankor.  But the sheer volume of traffic on this
list and the limitations of my memory conspired to make me
unsure of any other such decisions, possibly ones reached since the
publication of the article mentioned below in _HolQeD_.
So I thought I'd ask.

\while I do not have a ready list of errors, you might want to check out HolQeD
\vol 2 no 1, Krankor's article entitled Qaghmey.
qatlho'.   I have the issue, and I've read the article.  But I thank you
for your concise summary.

\The only exception I have to that article is that he said that Cathie
\Sherriff's scene as Valkris in ST3 was shot before Dr. Okrand
\arrived on the set to coach the actors. In truth, it was shot
\in English, then redubbed in Klingon, very much coached by Dr.
\Okrand. The challenge was to both make the lines sound remotely
\like Klingon, yet match English lip movements. If you doubt me,
\buy or rent the tape, turn off the sound and watch the lip
\movements and notice how neatly they match the subtitles.
\Okrand told this anecdote at Stellarcon 17.

Now that is indeed news.  I know that this was the case with Saavik's
Vulcan scene in ST2 (as well as with the Vulcan High Priestess in
ST:TMP), but I did not know that was the case with Valkris.  I must
go watch the tape - I'm particularly interested to see how such lines as
"Qapla' jawwI' - bangwI' je'" match up with the English.

Thanks again for your response.

-marqoS

Back to archive top level